The design of basketball shoes is based on fashion, comfort, and performance. As mentioned by 17 rebound, It is important to understand your playing capability and technique to choose the right shoes. You need to understand speed, agility, or aggression as per the requirements of your game. Basketball Shoes are designed into the outsole, upper and midsole sections. The following tips will guide you when buying your next basketball shoes.
- The upper section
It is important to know if you want a basketball with a high, middle, or low height. The following is how various heights suit different players.
- High: They provide additional stability and support by wrapping your ankle. This additional coverage also adds the weight of the shoe.
- Mid: Your ankle will be provided with medium support. Increased flexibility is allowed because the material covers exactly around the ankle.
- Low: The ankle support is little because of their low profile hence making them good for agility and speed.
- The upper security
The most popular closing technique is by using laces. However, you might come across some Basketball Shoes using zippers, hook and loop or even straps. These other upper-security techniques provide additional support to the ankles especially if you have high model shoes. It is good to note that, additional coverage adds more weight to the shoe.
- The midsole
This is where you will find the cushioning material. This is a very important part in terms of the performance of a shoe. A midsole can be made of EVA foam which is light or polyurethane which is denser and more durable. Different technologies that are brand specific are used to make various midsoles especially the forefoot and the heel. This additional cushioning will protect the pressure points because they bear a high level of stress during the basketball game.
- The outsole
Always checkout for an outsole that is wide and flat so that you are well balanced during the game. Also, the outsole should have a hexagonal pattern because it provides an extra grip. A firm grip will ensure you do not slide on the court while playing. This outsole is basically for indoor courts. However, if you want a shoe for outdoor surfaces, make sure the outsole is thicker and more durable.
- Basketball shoes depending on playing position
Shoes will differ depending on your position in the court. Check the different options based on your position.
- Guards: Shoes with a low top are the best because this position requires quick and fluid movements.
- Forwards: These players are more aggressive and larger hence shoes with a high top are the best. These shoes offer more support and coverage when players are making aggressive jumps and moves.
- All-round players: If this is your position, you will require mid-top shoes as they offer you room for making many and flexible movements.
- Choosing a basketball shoe size
It is good to determine the size of your shoe before buying. Sizes vary depending on brand therefore be keen to avoid a small or a large shoe. A good fit enhances your playing capability.
- Check the aesthetics
It is also important to mind the look of your basketball shoes. Bold colors are required if you really need to stand out. Also, the shoes should rhyme with your uniform.
The discussed tips will guide you when choosing the best basketball shoes for the game. Be keen to choose appropriate shoes for enhanced play.